Translate

Saturday 27 December 2008

Interesting stuff from today's paper

See last post - talking about Pinter, there was loads of stuff in today's paper and this was my favourite, his last interview in which he talked about his love of cricket and why it is better than sex. He wasn't putting down sex, more bigging cricket up. It turns out he was a Yorkshire supporter as well. Cheers fellar.

Have you seen that advert for that 100 classic book collection advert for the Nintendo DS Computer? I could see the appeal if it worked like an audiobook but as far as I can see the idea is you hold the computer like a book and you read the book like a book!

Here's an interesting credit crunch money saving idea. Instead of spending £14.99 on the game(??) join the library and borrow the books, read them and then take them back for buck shee. Not only will you save money, it might save your eyesight and money on spectacles or (like me) laser eye surgery in later life. Joking apart, surely this sort of thing is not going to catch on.

Also in the paper today, bad news for beer drinkers - Apart from... if you read down that thing about it being beneficial to help stop heart disease still applies to people at risk including men over 40 (phew). For now at least I'm going to look after my heart and take my chance with the big unmentionable.

And finally this one tickled me about the latest FA plan ) to tackle homophobia at football matches. At first I thought it must be a Brass Eye like spoof (I'm not actually convinced it isn't by the way) . The campaign is called the "Justin Fashanu campaign" after the first openly gay top professional footballer. Given that he "came out" in 1990 and to my knowledge there haven't been any other top players to "come out" since methinks the problem of homophobia lies just as much within the game itself as it does with the crowds.

It remains to be seen whether David Beckham, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, David James, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole and Cristiano Ronaldo dare to speak up against homophobia but if I was a betting man, and I am I'll bet less than 50% of this group do.

And talking about betting, Boro are 16-1 to win at Man U on Monday. We probably won't win but at that price I'm going to have a few bob on the lads for no other reason than we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment