Translate

Thursday 21 March 2013

Another Spensian - How about Regional Retirement?

The week-end's soon come round again. Being off mid-week definitely worked for me and I ended working week with a  couple of drinks and tea in pub with some of mates from work.  Could definitely get used to that.

Tried out another Spensian out on James and Steve and it went down pretty well so I'll share it with the world or at least the 16 people that have tuned in for the last 2 nights.

Admitedly Tuesday's night idea was more of a bit of a vibe rather than a bona fide action plan but I thought it was at least a pretty good vibe unlike Ozzie's "plan" to assist people to buy second homes to help start a new unsustainable housing boom.  He must have really enjoyed the sweetness of the plaudits he received from the so called experts yesterday.  Pity it's all turned sour today.  Only The Guardian and the BBC are running the story (probably in that order) but from my experience where they go the others follow.

Anyway my latest "Spensian" is based on data collected by all sorts of groups, although not by me.  Don't worry I'm not going to quote loads of stats.  I think it's a good idea and although I haven't searched extensively I can't see that any other respected writer has come up with it so dibs it's mine. 

The idea is a variation on the Tory government's "Race To The Bottom" plan, the bit about regional pay whereby public service wages will be based the cost of living in each area.  In simple terms people in say the South East will get paid more than those say living in say the North East because the cost of living in the South East is much greater than that in the North East.

So how about regional retirement whereby people start receiving their state pension based on the life expectancy for the area.  For example, according to data provided by the Office of National Statistics based on all deaths between 2007 and 2009 a male born in Glasgow City can expect to live 71.1 years whereas a male born in Kensington and Chelsea can expect to live to 84.4 years.

So say a man should be able to have a retirement of say 10 years (this could be tweaked up or down by the government) in Glasgow the retirement age for a man will be 61years (rounded down) and in Kensington and Chelsea it will be 74 years.  Funnily enough in Middlesbrough and Stockton based on my plan the retirement age will  be 65 and 66 respectively.  Close to what it is now.  How weird's that?

Another economic spin off might be (alas no data to back it up) that because the retirement age is lower in the poorer areas more people and businesses will want to move there thus improving regional economies and help reduce people congestion in the South East?

Everyone's a winner!  Feel free to share.

2 comments:

  1. Likin' all this a lot and it's good stuff.
    So pleased to hear that you have 'The Stand-In' and I hope you like it. I saw Ms. Rose live at The Fleece in Bristol the day after the album was released. She was in awesome form and she's booked to appear at EOTR 2013 too, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Rich. It's been on my to buy list since it was released. Just listened for the first time. Instantly accessable. Seen her a few times and haven't been that bothered but I'm really excited about seeing her at EOTR.

    ReplyDelete