Translate

Tuesday 12 March 2013

I used to say to people "I do a blog" and then I started saying "I used to do a blog" and now I don't even mention it.  So here I am with my second post of the year.  Just had a look at my resolutions....  Yeah, they're going ok. 

Haven't been up to much. Only been out 4 times this year.  Only been to see one band, The Dutch Uncles - I think they're playing the Stockton Festival.  Them plus Primal Scream = 2 good reasons to give it a miss this year versus one very good reason to go named Dexys?  We'll see. 

My friend and fellow blogger Richard from Thoughts on Music keeps his ear fairly close to the ground commented  on the great quality of music currently on offer.  I'm sure he's right but for now it's all passing me by.  The Kids Are Solid Gold appear to have re-camped to Stockton, mams and dads favourites (but not mine) Stornoway show aside.  Can't blame Phil and Andy, full houses at The Georgian Theatre or half full at The Westgarth?  No contest really.

Hopefully things will pick up but if they don't I've still got long time faves, Emmylou Harris and Steve Earle to look forward to on successive Thursday nights in May.  They're both on at The Sage where I'll be returning to see the final part of The Ring Wagner) at the end of June and then a couple of months to kill before The End of the Road Festival at the end of August.

Talking of EOTR, the Festival Spotify playlist is brill (although probably only of interest to people planning on going).  Needless to say unless the weather is shite it promises to be a great week-end.

EOTR aside I'm not really with it at the moment and that is reflected in what I've been buying and listening to.  Got the last Bruce Springsteen album (I'm still a sucker for his brand of formula Americana) and Neil Young's bonkers re-working of old American folk songs.  I'm sure he's just done it to piss the Yanks off.  I bought the wonderfully titled One Day I'm Going To Soar,  I never doubted it was going to be magnificent and the last Tom Waits album.  Been listening to lots of Tom Waits actually.  I'm particularly enjoying the triple compilation Orphans Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards and I'd forgotten how many great songs Paul Simon has written.  So, just been listening to old guys really.

Anyway,  time for bed and just a though. It may be grim up North and I may be feeling the pinch like lots of others (not all) but ..... what was it McLaren said after we got beat 8-0 by Arsenal?  "We move on.  And with that in mind ere's a little number to make our hearts soar. One, two, three, four....


Until tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment