Translate

Friday 7 January 2022

Here Come The Weekend

Unsurprisingly I woke up with a hangover. Had far too much to drink last night, I usually do when I go out with our Russ. Bloody rounds have a lot to answer for.

Arranged to go round his house at 11AM this morning. He's renovating the house and he needed me to help him take down the canopy at the front of his house.  Anybody that knows me knows my DIY limitations but I was another pair of hands and probably more to the point I was available. It was big and heavy and  could have been dangerous but we got it down without much bother. And although our Russ took most of the strain and made most of the decisions I like to think I made a few key interventions. It's always a pleasure to help our Russ anyway.

Setting the scene for (possible) future posts both me and Russ moved house in the last 18 months and now live about a 15 minutes walk away from each other.  It was more good luck than by design but I'm not complaining. He's semi-retired as well and even if we don't see each other during the week we have an unwritten standing order to meet up and go to one or more of the local pubs every other Thursday night.  

So the weekend arrives at last.  It feels like it's been a long week. Then again it's only 50 weeks to Christmas Eve tomorrow. 

Do Saturday and Sunday fell any different to me than Wednesday to Friday since I partially retired in November? Well Shamila's off so we'll do one or maybe even two longer walks and Boro usually play but apart from that not really.

Although this weekend's a bit different mind.  I'm walking with my mate, Ian tomorrow without Sham and it's the 3rd round of the FA Cup so I won't be so pre-occupied with the football. I'm sure I must have mentioned this before but the League is pretty much everything to me.  I'm simply not interested in the early rounds of the FA Cup. There's always lots of talk about the romance of the competition but it's always been a bit of a distraction. We're away to a lower league team, Mansfield tomorrow. It will be a shock if we get beat. We've been on a good run (see current table below) and although there's something about momentum imo it won't be the end of the world if we get knocked out.

As you can see Boro are currently 7th (in the Championship), the Second Division in old money but we've signed a couple of players already in the January transfer window and things are looking more promising than for a number of years.  Not getting excited just yet but starting to hope.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment