Translate

Saturday 7 September 2013

With a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

I really need to capture my thoughts on EOTR 2013 before the memories start to fade.  Whilst still in Dorset it was difficult to focus on anything other the journey home but it was great, probably my best of the 4 I've attended.  Why?

The weather was fantastic, wall to wall sunshine.  The headliners were all top class  - however good the undercard is the top order is the biggest draw to me.  And never say never but this might be my last visit so I was really taking it all in.  Artist after artist commented on the  beauty of Larmer Tree Gardens and several said it was their favourite festival (they probably say that everywhere they play).  Christian Hardy from The Leisure Society went as far to say "you lot should be feeling very smug because this week-end you are at the best place anywhere in the world".


We all looked at our surroundings at the


 
peacocks roaming in the grounds


 at our own recording studio (really).  EOTR are going to release a compilation of the best recordings.

 We had our on site mail service.  You could send letters to the artists or even to other peoples tents



and the woods are just magical.  We nodded smugly, yeah, that's right.

I've never been to any other sleepover festivals so I can't speak for them.  Maybe there are other festivals where you can get between all the stages or back to your tent in less than 10 minutes, or where the site is kept tidy throughout, or where you can have organic falafel for lunch and then Goan Fish Curry for your tea, or where the toilets are generally clean (people who know me will know how fussy I am), or that has their own Cider bus

 
but I wonder how many have them all. 

I couldn't imagine another festival matching my musical tastes so closely.  It's smallness in size suits me and I can just about tolerate it's poshness (it is in North Dorset after all)  but I've had a good run and I know how miserable I would be if the weather was bad.  It's a near 700 mile round trip so unless they come up with some must see names or I can win the lottery and can afford one of those fancy euro camper vans I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

My next posts will be about the music (a promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment