Translate

Thursday 12 September 2013

Big Top Stage

If I had to describe this years Big Top Stage in 3 words I would say lots of laptops.  Small bands making big sounds.  Interesting sounding names like East India Youth and Deptford Goth turned out to be just lone boy's on stage tapping a few keys with a laptop.  Not unpleasant but just a bit dull.

Lots of excellent stuff as well though.  Brooklyn duo Widowspeak made a lovely sound with pretty vocals from Molly Hamilton and great foot tapping (to me) guitar lines from star of the band Robert Earl Thomas.
 
 
 I rather cared for rather weird and soulful Graphite Set.  Needless to say they were on in the Tipi last time.

and by latish Friday evening after seeing some very nice pop and fine country music, lots of weirdness and The Eels I got a serious craving for some rock'n'roll.  Low and behold up popped a band I'd never heard before who turned out to be one of my faves of the week-end, New York's Parquet Courts.
 

Likened to Talking Heads and Television by those supposedly in the know, there was certainly lots early US punk about them but to be honest more like The Ramones and Richard Hell.

I also enjoyed Mercury Prize nominated Savages and Saturday night top of the bill Polica (just testing) who used looping technology (think) and their laptop (definitely) to great effect.  Bizarrely they had 2 drummers.  Why not put one on the mac?  No offence like.

I never got in the Big Top on Sunday so missed Palma Violets who I was hoping to give another go (not overly impressed in the Boro) and Public Service Broadcasting who I did enjoy in the Boro.

CD's ordered - Parquet Courts and Polica


 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I like this...
    We managed to see much of everything between on the Big Top between us!
    I enjoyed Public Service Broadcasting even more than when I saw them at Truck Festival. I didn't take any photos this time as I was right at the back but I did at Truck, when I was near the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between us, think caught pretty much everything. About to post a few more photos.

    ReplyDelete