Translate

Monday 9 September 2013

EOTR 2013 Tipi Stage

It actually used to be in a Tipi but you couldn't swing a cat in it let alone hold a decent size audience.  Then they erected a marquee type tent next to the tipi.  That was better and for a couple of years perfect.  You could get in to see anybody and in the past I've seen amongst others The Low Anthem, The Felice Brothers, Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell, the mighty Slow Down Molasses and Boro faves Woodpigeon and Horse Feathers. 

It's always been my favourite stage with lots of beat folkie acts and solo country singers.  Pretty much my cup of tea really.

Only this year apart from the warm up night and the after hours secret shows virtually every time I tried to get in it was heaving.  I managed to catch the wonderful harmonic folkie/ethereal Golden Fable and (almost a late show) brother and sister spoken word guitar/bass/tapes duo Jo Gideon and the Shark.  Not too bad. 

I've already written about the Thursday show so that just leaves the 3 late 'surprise' shows apart from the programme gave away the fact that Dawes, Barr Brothers shows and the new first lady of country in my musical universe (nb Ian) were going to play.   That was great in itself but the fact that nobody else I spoke to seemed to have sussed out made it seem like I was well in the know.  It doesn't sound much but well worth the kudos amongst the anoraks at EOTR.

Hands up whose heard of Dawes?  I hadn't either but they were great. One of my faves of the festival.  A wonderful west coast sound with songs about LA (their home) and California and the like.  In a previous life I would have hated them but Americana loving Goffa, circa 2013 just loves this sound.

 
Dawes - Friday night in the Tipi
 
I'm not just saying I loved the Barr Brothers because they played the Boro although the fact that they are from Montreal and they played the Westgarth just before EOTR was actually enough but they looked great and their sound was big and soulful. They were just  beautiful.

I was hoping to ask them how they got the harp upstairs in The Westgarth but I didn't get chance to speak to them.  Hey ho!

I might have mentioned the new first lady before.  She seems to have been around for ages but she's still only 26.  She's from Nashville and a pal of The Felice Brothers.  She was sweetness and light in the afternoon, charmingly signing autographs but by midnight she was falling around the stage drinking lager and red wine chasers, forgetting the words to her songs and drunkardly bantering with the audience.  Her songs are great, her voice is sweet but you get the impression that if you messed with her she's chew you up and spit you out.  I give you Miss Caitlin Rose.

photo courtesy of Richard P W Greenhalgh
 
And that was about it, it was 2am Monday morning.  The festival started and closed in the Tipi. Big Jeff from Bristol said Palma Violets were due to play but had to leave early so they left it to a noisy 5 piece from San Diego, Crocodiles to close the festival to the remaining hardcore (punks). 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment