Translate

Saturday 12 October 2013

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before.  I like to think I'm a pretty modest fellar.  I don't consider myself  an expert in pretty much anything but I am confident verging on cocksure about what is good pop music and what isn't.  With that in mind I cannot for the life of me understand why a band like Mumford and Sons are revered and The Walkmen are virtually unknown.  See previous post for my comments on The Walkmen and if you go back far enough you might find a review of Mumford and sons when they played to about 80 people in Middlesbrough in 2009.

Dawes supported Mumford and Sons on their last tour and I think it should have been the other way on.
 
They were splendid at EOTR at the Woods stage on Saturday.  Lots of references to LA, California etc.  Lots of anthem type songs and dare I admit it reminiscent of The Eagles, a band I have generally detested for most of my adult life.  I'm not too small to admit I may have bee wrong.
 
I've mentioned the link between EOTR and our very own .............. on more occasions than I care to remember.  It's also true that I say what I think.
 
A couple of bands I've been less than enamoured with in the past have been The Fossil Collective and the extremely popular Daughter.  I saw The lush sounding folkie types Fossil Collective from Leeds at The Westgarth where they went down a storm.  Don't know where they were all looking/listening because at best they were only average and I said so in my review which caused a little bit of consternation.  Ouch, not! 
 
I saw Daughter (1m on views, what would I know) support the mighty Beirut at Leeds and thought they were like a poor man's Lanterns on the Lake (ordered as we speak).   Some nice hooklines but not enough substance to the songs.  TKASG put Daughter on at The Georgian Theatre and it was a sell out so once again what would I know. 
 
Both bands were loved by the generous EOTR crowds but neither converted me.  Especially sorry re Fossil Collective after their singer (more) generously (than me) posed for my photo.
 
 
 PS I was embarrassed at The Westgarth last Tuesday after persuading loads of people to go to Catfish and the Bottlemen (see last month's review).  I must have been seduced by the Dorset air or something because  they really seemed a breath of fresh air at EOTR.  They left me cold when they played in Boro leaving me scratching my head as to what I found appealing in the first place. 
 
Going to see Withered Hand on Tuesday.  Expecting him to be much better although refusing to give recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment