Translate

Sunday 27 October 2013

Lou Reed

My Facebook feed is full of tributes and songs tonight.  Fuck me, I've only got 79 friends (too many).  Feel sorry for the poor buggers with thousands of friends.  Still, I think I'll write something anyway.

I went to see Lou Reed at The Sage in June 2006 (here's the set list).  I've just gone back to my old blog to see if I reviewed it but sadly I was on a break.  I would have been interested to see what I said at the time.

Can't remember an awful lot to be honest.  It was a hard time for me and my family and I'm sure my mind will have been elsewhere.

Bits are starting to come back though.

1.  His drummer played in a glass cage.
2.  He had a real muso bass player who as well as playing a 5 string bass played a load of obscure instruments.
3.  Lou Reed brought his Tai Chi teacher with him on tour and invited him on stage to strut his stuff at the end of the set.
4. Lou had an electronic autocue with the lyrics on
5  I'm pretty sure it was just pretentious shit.

Sorry I'm not going to hypocritical.

Of course it was not always that way, I loved Transformer and New York.  And then there was the Velvets and their legacy, some of the best songs ever.  Here's 5 of my best off the top of my head

1.  Heroin
2.  Venus in Furs
3.  Femme Fatale
4.  Stephanie Says
5. I'll be your Mirror

But to be honest and I know it's unlikely anybody will share my view but this is my best memory. Bit weird I almost posted this link this morning before I found out LR had died.  "Weathered Hand" indeed!


PS Post number 45 for the year (my marker).

2 comments:

  1. The demise of Lou Reed was just about the only news I heard yesterday. The way it became known to me was appropriate - I was at Frome Blues Festival when 'Nimmo Brothers' announced it, playing as first support, with 'Climax Blues Band' headlining. Again it was to prove an unenviable task for the headline act but it was pulled off with a stunning effort (unlike Stan Webb's Chicken Shack last year). The audience was astonishing... at least twice that of last year's inaugural event. There is clearly an appetite for this kind of event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really a big fan of Climax Blues Band etc. but would probably go if on in Middlesbrough. Pleased good turn out this year compared to last. A sign of the recovery?















    ReplyDelete