Translate

Friday 2 December 2011

Today's activities and more

Only good news today.  Really enjoyed Mary Dejevsky's uplifting (to me anyway) article in today's Independent about the UK's obsession with growth as a measure of "our" success.  Her comment about the effect of the economic boom of the Blair years on the living standards acrooss the board particularly resonates with me.

I've been off work since Wednesday which has been bloody marvellous and I've been living the dream of the domestic god.  You know, going to Morrisons, housework, ironing, pottering around the house and all that.  Received a call at the door this morning from a couple Jehovah's Witnesses who shared with me their joy at the current woes of the world.  They appeared to  be genuinely at peace as they predicted the impending disasters resulting in the end of the world as we know it as they showed me drawings of how idyllic life will be for the survivors.  I almost want to believe them as long as me, my family and my friends are amongst the survivors.

Could have been there some time (I'm rubbish at ending conversations) but my next door but one neighbour Edie (aged 80) saw us talking and took it upon herself to rescue me by ringing my telephone.  My (not entirely) unwelcome visitors took their cue thanking me for my time and left. I'd like to think I was about to send them packing anyway but they saved me the bother.  Great sport!

Shamila and I are walking tomorrow, our 49th walk of the year.  We're going to walk from her house to Compen Bewley, onto Greatham (a suburb of Hartlepool) and basically back, about 8 miles in total.  Hopefully we'll make it to 50 walks sometime over the next week or so and then a few weeks rest before doing it all again next year.

Tomorrow night - going to the final Kids Are Solid Gold show of the year at The Westgarth, Forest Fire from Brooklyn.  I've been listening to some snippits from their new album and it should be a splendid evening.

And on that cheery note all that remains for me to say is ........................here's a picture of me and The Monk (actually the one in the link is the Horseman but I'm sure  you get the drift)  taken by Shamila last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment