Translate

Sunday 26 June 2011

Glastonbury

Time definitely must be on my side nowadays.  I've even managed to catch a smidgen of Glastonbury on the box. Funnily enough I was having a drink at the Linthorpe on Tuesday night with Gary and Mark and and we waved off a coach full of Boro youths to the festival.

Maybe it's different if you're there in the flesh but bearing in mind its roots, it all looks about as rebellious as Michael Gove.  As Mark said it's become like a summer camp for nice posh kids and as some them are very nice and treat me well I'll leave it that.

Other than to say U fucking 2 and Coldplay!!!  They really are establishment as you can get.  I see there was  protest against U2's tax avoidance set up which was broken up by the stewards on grounds of health and safety and not by the festival organisers "on the grounds of censorship".  Right on Eavis!

Actually caught a bit of U2.  Easy target I know but they really are the most appalling band aren't they?  I'm very embarrassed to admit I've got a couple of their Best of CD's.  Feel free to castigate away., I would!  Forgive me father for I have sinned. 

I had a look to see whether they were worth selling on Amazon Marketplace and they're not.  Less than a quid seems to be the going rate and is not worth the bother so if anybody fancies them for free all you have to do is shout up.  Seems a very high price to me but if you want them that is the price.

Saw Morrissey on Friday and much to the consternation of Smiths disciples this review in yesterday's Guardian is right on the button.  Seemed pretty soulless to me.  Apparently most of the crowd mosied off to see Radiohead.  Maybe a lesser two evils. I'm going to see the Moz in a couple of weeks time.  I hope he's better in the Boro.
I've been watching this afternoon for an hour or so and it's been better actually.  I watched Noah and The Whale who played a few nice country tunes, a sort of mainstream Langhorne Slim but ok.  Then  former East End hard man and now justified national treasure Jah Wobble played a fusion of World Music and was fantastic, finishing off his set with an Augustus Pablo cover version, no less and I've just watched a Syrian artist, Omar Souleyman who whipped along.  Sadly Jimmy Eat World have just come on to spoil it but thanks to multi-screen TV I've got the choice of another part of the corporation, Paul Simon (but I like him - God what a hypocrite), Laura Marling, Bellowhead or Primal Scream. 

Laura Marling it is.

6 comments:

  1. All of it seems like my idea of hell. Well. maybe not hell but not very enjoyable. The picture of the bloke on the right of your page-playing guitar in a pub with no punters- seems like my sort of thing, though. Who is is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! He's my mate originally from Liverpool. He's a mental health nurse and moved to the Boro about 10 years ago. You're right Paul, much better than anybody I've seen on at Glastonbury. Here's his version of Jolene.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU5ynYTug1w

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that. Give me a gig where there are more people onstage than in the audience. That's my mug of slosh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come back to the Boro. Probably half the gigs I go to are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the gigs I play are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you are a Boro lad after all!

    ReplyDelete