Translate

Sunday 2 January 2022

Welcome to 2022

 So here we are again. Happy New Year all. There's definitely a pattern developing here.  

So what's new?

It's been another bum year hasn't it? Although I guess it could have been worse and probably has been for many.  Current thinking is that the vaccination is the key to swerving the worst effects of Covid.  Those that have chosen not get jabbed just look like they've got a death wish?

Who knows what is getting pumped into our arms but the unpleasant side effects of the vaccine feels a price worth paying.  I've been triple jabbed and was ill after "the booster" but I've heard of 2 people catching Covid after being fully vaccinated so....

Watch this space I guess but me, Shamila, her parents and my sons are all well (Mike has the virus but is ok).

Here's to 2022 I guess. I'm cautiously optimistic. Mad times, mad times ......  

2021 wasn't all bad though eh?  I feel like I've been washing my hands all year and I can't remember what it was like going into a supermarket without a face covering.

We still managed to get away a few times though.   They're called staycations now, apparently. Shamila tells me they've always been called that but I'd never heard it before Covid and as you know I've always had my finger on the pulse, so ......  

We went to Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds (posh, vacancies everywhere due to Brexit - you fucking suckers), Beadnel in Northumberland (expensive hotel) and Robin Hoods Bay (just the best) in no particular order and a few random photos are shown below.

Our Robin Hoods Bay trip coincided with my 60th birthday.....Jeez, 60.... How do I feel about it?

Well I guess I'm officially old,  now into my 7th decade. How did that happen? Of course it's time, it just goes on on and on.  If you're expecting to live until you're 90, 60 is only two thirds of the way there and if you're from the Cotswolds maybe that's a reasonable expectation. But I'm from the Boro and come from Geordie jeans stock rather than Levis but as the saying goes "old age is better than the alternative". 

The obituaries are starting to get too close for comfort.   The review of the 2021 celebrity deaths on the news last night seemed to go on too long and was far too close for comfort and I was out with my oldest mate Gordon Kay a couple of months ago and he informed me that a couple of our old school friends, Dennis Taylor had died and another Paul Pearson (Peo) of Kendo - "Que c'est que c'est" fame was on his last legs. I was sadly able to confirm "Denny" had died - RIP and Peo was seemingly was very ill with Covid. Rooting for Peo.  I had pretty close connections with both of them if for fleeting moments in time. Almost certainly not important to them but I have some very happy memories of them.  

It's my blog's birthday and the reason for posting. I might write a bit more about 2021 but that's enough for tonight.  



Not from my holidays but me and my dear father-in-law on Christmas Day



Me and the lassie on my birthday



Living it up by the stream in Bourton on the Water


About to tuck into my birthday feast of Lobster salad and chips at Robin Hoods Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment