Translate

Saturday 9 May 2015

Still gutted about yesterday's election result.  It reminds me of the feeling I used to have the morning after a mid-week defeat for Boro.  I don't get that anymore, there's no use fretting and the election result is a bit like that.  The people have spoken and our undemocratic election system has produced a decisive result.  The Conservatives have won an outright majority of seats after polling 36.9% of the total votes cast.  12.6% voted UKIP leading to them winning 1 seat (thank the lord) whereas SNP won 56 seats from 4.7% of the total votes cast.  Bonkers.

That said, I went through with my promise and spoilt my ballot paper so it could be argued I'm a hypocrite.  I'm done with left wing idealism.  The markets rule and the powers that be will never allow anything other than a right wing or centre right/left party to govern Britain anytime soon.  It's taken 54 years for the penny to drop but the soft left of Blur's Britain is about as good as we are ever going to get so I'll be a good boy and toe the line in the future.

I can't find the actual scores but apparently " counting was weighed down by a huge number of spoiled ballots" at the Middlesbrough mayoral election.  Not mine though, I just couldn't take a chance on ex city hedge fund manager Andy Preston being elected in my name without having a say in the matter.  I was relieved to see Labour's Dave Budd (whoever he is) to see romp home by 256 votes.  I hope I haven't missed a trick but if he's serious about wanting to help the area he'll be back.  Maybe one for the future?

And finally BORO... BORO... BORO...  No faffing this time,  I've bought my ticket for next Friday.  It's far from in the bag but a 2-1 lead is a good score to take into the second leg.


No comments:

Post a Comment