Translate

Saturday 27 December 2014

Worryingly starting to believe...

It's been a few years since I've enthused about the Boro and it will inevitably end in tears but I loved Boxing Day's 3-0 win against Nottingham Forest.

There are few things in life I can say I've always loved but it's true about football.  Not always watching and there are lots of things I despise about modern football, the money, the cheating, the gamesmanship, most of the TV punditry and more but I always loved (past tense? - probably) playing.  And although I've gone a bit quiet in recent years I've never stopped loving the Boro

Our supporters are taunted "You're just a small town in Yorkshire"  

And of course we join in.  For long periods of my adult life "we" have punched way above our weight.  Yesterday reminded me of the successful period over the 10 years or so from 1997 and it was great.  I always knew our success would come to an end so never took it for granted.  Those days are gone,  football's moved on.  The rich clubs are so dominant and poorer clubs like Boro are so up against it.  The local economy of a club's location is becoming more important.  Historically lower league clubs are becoming bigger e.g. Reading, Brighton and even MK Dons (watch this space).  Boro?   Say no more.

It's been a barren period since we got relegated from the Premier League and thoughts of a  promotion campaign seemed like blind faith to me but just maybe ......

Yesterday's crowd was 32277 including 1399 from the city of Nottingham.  The highest crowd in the Championship so far this season.  We are away to Blackburn tomorrow.  The small town in Yorkshire has sold out it's away ticket allocation of 7000.  According to the Lancashire Telegraph the largest away allocation in the Championship this season.

Everybody supports their team but the fact is we are ...... and supporters of other teams are not.  End of.







No comments:

Post a Comment