Translate

Thursday 25 December 2014

Merry Christmas.

Was going to have an Internet free day but I forgot that smartphones don't allow that sort of behaviour.  I got a message, replied and that was that.

Had  a good day.  Woke up at Shamila's, went to see her parents, home, the Eagle with Mark, then home again for lobster and salad for Christmas lunch washed down with over half a bottle of wine.  The lobster was only meant to be my starter but hey ho.

I retired to my front room to listen amongst other things my albums of the year.

As I said the other night it's been a shit year for live music in Goffaland but not for the recorded variety.  I'd go as far as to bold say it's been one of my best for the LP/CD/album.  Somebody at work described my taste as unconventionally conventional and I'll take that.  I just love pop music and this year has been glorious.

The playlist can be split into 4 categories,

The Old Guys

Vic Godard's Northern Soul offering, 1979.  Uplifting, joyful, surprising.  Great songs.  And Happy Go Lucky Girl should have been saved for Eurovision.  It wouldn't have won but would have got more points than "we" usually get.

Dexys - Nowhere is Home - Astonishing is a strong and overused word to describe music but this triple album is.  The first 2 discs are a full live recording of their Duke of Yorks Theatre show from 2013.  Disc 1 is a live performance of their last album, One Day I'm Going To Soar and Disc 2 is a jaw dropping re-working of some their (not so) extensive back catalogue.  Best song - A weep a long Tell Me When My Light Turns Green.

Note to self - See Dexys live.

The Girls

Regulars will know I unashamedly love the girls and mine are  Caitlin, Beth Jeans, Elizabeth and Jocie (photos Richard?) and this year I've loved the Arc Iris album and Allo' Darlin's We Come From The Same Place

The Scottish Crew

All critically acclaimed, King Creosote, Withered  Hand and one that surprised me, the Glaswegian rap band, The Young Fathers.  It won the Mercury Prize which is irrelevant to me but a lad at work lent me the album.  It's brill in a Public Enemy meet the Black Eyed Peas sort of way.

Americana

No surprises but genuinely great albums

Single Mothers - Justin Townes Earle
All hail to The Felice Brothers - Favourite Waitress  (review is a joke) and
the acceptable faces of rock Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Only Run and Work and Love by Elliott Brood (I suspect I am the only fan).

I go in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment