Translate

Thursday 26 December 2013

Ring out the old.

Bloody hell, feeling a bit ropey today, maybe a touch of food poisoning.  I can’t see it being anything to do with drinking alcohol solidly from 3PM until after midnight -anyway we move one .  Loads of people have been posting the Best of 2013 lists and I’m going to join them. 

Best Teesside concerts – Runners up - Dark Dark Dark – Georgian Theatre Stockton and  Withered Hand – Westgarth Middlesbrough but best by a country mile  was Simone Felice at The Studio Hartlepool on 28 June.  Inexplicably there were only about 50 people there but make no mistake Simone Felice is a superstar of Americana so tough luck buster if you missed it.   The sound quality isn’t brilliant but here’s my video of the encore.

Best concert outside of Teesside – Tempted to make out  I’m all young and hip and say Parquet Courts at EOTR 2013 or go for coolest man on earth Steve Earle at The Sage or even Caitlin Rose but (fellow) old guys Television at The Sage were breathtaking.  Just the best songs.

Can’t do best single but I can do best album and I loved the country girls.  Kacey Musgraves and Holly Williams (Hank’s grand-daughter) albums were great but Caitlin Rose’s The Stand-In gets my vote.

Rescued from back catalogue – Obviously Television’s Marquee Moon went close but after seeing David Byrne at EOTR I revisited Talking Heads and I’ve been reacquainting myself with 77 to Naked since.  Obviously they’re not The Velvet Underground but again so many great songs.  Also loved The Kinks at the BBC .  Not technically back catalogue because it was only released 2013 but they’re old songs, you know what I mean.

Best local event – Hail to local promoters – Steve and Dave formerly of Rock Garden re-visited, Andy and Phil TKASG and Leon of Grass Routes but my 2013 fave was the monthly event at The MIMA.  Not sure whether it will continue into 2014 but it was a breath of fresh air in 2013.

Looking forward to in 2014 – Withered Hand’s new album, AV14 and come on Boro, eh!

Best local bands  -  Dinnernanny, General Sherman and Dressed Like Wolves (more later)

If you like Americana, country and alternative folk you must try - Daytrotter

We are ..................

No comments:

Post a Comment