Translate

Sunday 12 February 2012

End Of An Era

There’s another week-end over. Well almost anyway, another couple of hours to go before I pop off to bed.


It started on Friday with yet another funeral, my Uncle Jack’s.   It is as my cousin Stephen said, “the end of an era”,  the last of the generation in both his and my family.  


Jack had a fair day for it though, the roads were clear but all the surrounding fields and villages were covered in snow from the top of Birk Brow all the way to Bridlington.  Blue skies all the way.  I’d made embryonic arrangements to go over with my cousin Brenda but she made her own arrangements.  No offence to Brenda but the journey was the better for my being alone.


Haven’t got many personal memories of Jack to be honest - he moved away from Teesside to do his national service in the Army and then joining the Royal Air Force before finally settling in Bridlington.  Although he used to come back to Middlesbrough fairly often we never saw him.


I’ve done my family duty anyway; my brothers and I were always brought up to do the right thing.  Our (always) dignified parents would have gone had they still been here so I was representing them.  I think I’ll just leave it at that.


Only a short week at work next week, Monday to Wednesday so that’s not so bad and 2 top bands at the end of the week.  The Leisure Society at the Cluny on Friday and then Beth Jeans Houghton at The Westgarth on Sunday.  They were 2 of my highlights at EOTR 2011 and I’m expecting great things.


Up the Boro and don’t drink and drive!   


No comments:

Post a Comment