Translate

Wednesday 24 August 2011

My End Of The Road

It's not looking good to  be honest.  Not sure whether I mentioned here but I've faffed up big time this year.  I waited too long to but my ticket and they sold out (at the end of June I think) and for the last month I've been looking on The Ticket Trust site for any returns to no avail and now I'm looking on eBay.  I'm actually winning an auction at the moment that finishes late afternoon tomorrow so if you're doing nothing (Thursday) at 5.30 in the afternoon pour yourself a glass of wine and tune into eBay to most likely see me get outbid at the last minute if not before.

I had plenty of irons in the fire but not many are left in there and  if I don't manage to get hold of  a ticket by Monday at the latest I'm going to have to accept defeat.  It will be a real shame because although I'll be going on my own again I know quite a few people that are going.  There's a crew of 6 going from our very own Westgarth Club, Barnard Castle exile Richard, who I met last there last year, and a friend of Sylvia's called Graham who I met at the Stockton Festival.  

Talking of the Stockton Festival or Weekender it all turned out alright in the end.  The weather was a bit bad on the Saturday but it was ok and plenty of people turned out which to be honest was  great.

Highlights? I enjoyed Django Django, retro pop stars Cast and the wonderful and wacky Jack Daniels swigging siblings Kitty Daisy and Lewis.

Biggest disappointment was Saint Saviour who I was really looking forward to seeing after her performance in the Sound It Out documentary.  To be fair she really got the arse end of the dreary weather and she was just like the weather.  Of the big guns Newton Faulkner just came across as a mixture between bonkers posh chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and bonkers experimental chef Heston Blumenthal., nice touch coming on with a mug of tea though but.  Not so good touch with finishing with solo version of Bohemian Rhapsody.  Just because it's clever doesn't make it good in my book.

 I wasn't impressed by Seasick Steve's decision to keep repeating the same song and left to catch the last bus home after about 25 minutes (seemed longer) of his set.  He did seem like a bloody good bloke though and I'd like to say something nice about Maximo Park but I left their set early as well.

The presictable highlight of the week-end was The Kids Are Solid Gold After Show Party at The Georgian Theatre where we treated to a wonderful late night by current favourites Washington Irving.  If you haven't seen or heard them you must (both) and a cheeky little Leeds (the acceptable face of) rock'n'roll) band, Bear Driver.  You can listen and even obtain a couple of freebies here.

I'll post some photos tomorrow. 


1 comment: