Translate

Monday 10 October 2011

Rock Garden Revisited John Otway/Shrug/Bob Fischer

Work today after a great week-end off.  I've had worse Monday's.

Thursday night went well and Linda and James accompanied me to The Sessions to watch Gary.  He was a bit subdued by his standards to be honest.  The other artists (can't remember names were average at best) but as ever Gary was great company.

Went for a decent walk Saturday with Shamila around Thorpe Thewels, Whitton and Stillington and later went to the latest Rock Garden re-visited show at the Georgian Theatre Stockton. 

To be honest the punk revival isn't my thing.  I've been over my association with the Rock Garden (think on LJ) before so I'll spare you on this occasion and although I admire the promotional work of Steve Harland and friends I do not feel a jot of nostalgia for either punk rock or the Rock Garden.  I went to one of their previous shows, Subway Sect/Drop earlier this year and hardly recognised anybody outside my circle of friends.  Shame all the old punks haven't worn as well as me.  Ha ha!

Anyway, Ste fancied this one and as I've dragged him to a few recently and it wasn't Punishment Of Luxury, Spear Of Destiny or 999, why not.  At least John Otway is still a working musician.

Otway was never a punk.  He had his first hit in 1977 and because it was 1977 and as he wasn't easily identifiable as heavy metal or  prog rock he was labelled  punk/new wave.  His hit, with his then sidekick, Wild Willy Barrett was Cor Baby That's Really Free.  I seem to remember him later releasing a version of Green Green Grass Of Home'  It was a long time ago but I don't remember being very keen.

As I say he's had a musical career though and apparently even had another hit in 2002 with a song called Bunsen Burner, based on Disco Inferno by The Trammps coupled with a version of House Of The Rising Sun.

There was a reasonable turnout, about 140 according to Steve and a fair few of them seemed to know the drill as Otway knocked out staccato versions of his hits plus cover versions of Crazy Horses, Blockbuster and You Aint Seen Nothing Yet.  He didn't do Green  Green Grass Of Home though, so here it is.  It all pretty much sounded like that to be honest.

Still not my cup of tea musically and bah humbug, I found the comedy all a bit staged and pedestrian but the fair people of Teesside lapped it up so who am I to pick nits?  John Otway seemed happy being brought back for 2 encores but I suspect he knew that's the way it was going to pan out.




















Bob Fischer and Shrug?

I remember John Power from Cast referred to Bob Fischer as a "bit of a local hero" when Bob admirably replaced Power's bass player at short notice at Stockton Riverside Festival a few years ago.  BBC Tees presenter, champion of new music, writer (look at the reviews, wow!), and one time contributor of (maybe he still is - I no longer read it) Boro fanzine "Fly Me To The Moon".  Not sure about hero, I don't know the him but  he's very funny on the radio and here on stage and makes a great a great contribution to alternative music.

Ably assisted by Miniature G (also one time FMTTM contributor) on backing vocals and bongos and a lad who used to be in a post punk band from Leeds, Bob whipped through a very nice set of amusing folk/doo wop numbers culminating with memorable (to me anyway) versions of Laurel (Bishop Auckland's finest) and Hardy's "The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine" and "Whispering Grass" (immense vocals by Miniature G) .   Now that's what I call nostalgia 2011!


Shrug were bloody marvellous actually.  The best I can ever remember. Now a 7 piece including violin on the impressive Captain Cook inspired Legasea from their new Too Many Cooks EP which you can listen to streaming here and if that's not enough you can give their their whole archive by (funnily enough) clicking on the archive graphic.

Lead vocalist Rob Nicholls charged around the stage making lots of dramatic gestures towards the audience as per usual with a constant change of clothes, wigs, masks and props. I can't comment much on earlier versions of Shrug but the 2011 vintage really is (I think the modern phrase is) tight as.  Held together by a great drum/bass back line.  The guitars crash wonderfully and the keyboard provides simple (is best) sparse melodies.

Rob loves The Fall and there are similarities with the sound but his songs are clever and good humoured and his repartee with the audience is  informal and friendly (local show for local people).  Actually about as far away from Mark Smith as you could get.  Rob probably thinks of it as musical theatre and he's right on the button.  Great stuff, looking forward to seeing them again already. 


No comments:

Post a Comment