Translate

Saturday 2 January 2021

Reflections and Happy Birthday

On 2 January 2006 Boro played Newcastle away in the Premier League in front of 52302 spectators.  Hasselbaink came off the bench to score in the 87th minute to put Boro in the lead 2-1.  Alas Lee Clark went on to equalise in the final minute and the match ended 2-2.  

Imagine that? In 2006 Boro were so good that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink couldn't get into our starting line-up.  Since that day our then manager Steve McLaren, the most successful manger in our history left Boro to manage England to disastrous effect.  Our captain that day also went on to manage Boro before getting the sack after we got relegated to the Championship.  Since the he's been manager of England since September 2016.   They say football is a funny old game.  More funny peculiar than funny ha ha I guess.

Today, 2 January 2021, Chuka Akpon scored the final goal in the 81st minute to make it 3-1 to Boro away to Wycombe Wanderers in front of 0 spectators.  We now play in the second tier of English Football and today's win moves us just outside the play-off positions and that's pretty good.  

Could we get promoted this season?  I personally doubt it and if we do we'll almost certainly come straight back down.  We're just too poor to compete.  Our chairman, Steve Gibson whilst obviously still a very rich man is no longer the financial big hitter he was way back when. Those heady days of big money signings under Bryan Robson and Steve McLaren (1994 to 2006) are history. 15 to 27 years ago doesn't seem that long ago to me but maybe it all happened in the 'olden days' we used to talk about when we were kids.

Anyway lets not be downbeat. So in other news on 2 January 2006 I started my blog on Livejournal so this cakes for me.



It's ok, I'll save you a piece.  

I know my posts have been sparse over recent and not so recent years but I still tell people I've been doing a blog for 15 years and in the words of Gary McCabe aged 10 at Ladgate Juniors if you don't believe me you can go and fart.  Alternatively you could have a flick through the archives on Blogger and Livejournal 

On that bombshell in a new regular feature on Goffafromtheblock on Saturday night here's my song for Saturday night - Friday I'm in Love - Kate Rusby


 


Sleep tight.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this amazing content with me
    https://Bangbaze.com

    ReplyDelete