Translate

Monday 23 March 2020

Day 3 Lockdown awaits

Worked from home today - the new normal.  I'm not keen to be honest.  My set-up's reasonable enough.  A room set aside, a big desk and a nice chair so it's comfortable enough but home's home and good and work's work and tolerable.

I try to work hard at home but it would be silly to deny that I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment.  Anyway, as it's the new normal I decided that listening to music is going to be part of the new normal and that this week I'd concentrate on listening to The Kinks.  Why the hell not? 

I know little about The Kinks.  Obviously Ray Davies and his brother Dave was in them and in the sixties they had loads of great singles, they played a memorable (in my opinion anyway) concert on Christmas Eve 1977 that was televised live on the BBC and they brough out a great Christmas single that bombed.  They had a long list of great songs that were covered by other artis.  David Watts (The Jam), Stop Your Sobbing (Pretenders), Days (Kirsty McCall) and Victoria (The Fall) immediately spring to mind and I'll argue all day long that in the sixties, songs wise (everything in my world) they were only bettered by The Beatles.


So I listened to the The Kinks Pye Album Collection which I'd ripped to my iTunes comprising of the 10 albums they recorded for the Pye label and although a little patchy there were enough great songs to get me through the day.  Especially enjoyed The Kink Controversy, We Are The Village Green Preservation Society (originally panned but latterly revered) and Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire.  Think I'll listen to them again tomorrow.

I went to Shamila's after work to set up her new TV (I wonder how much longer I'm going to be able to travel between our houses?) and watch the nightly government address. And Ian was right we're going to be in (our version of) lockdown from tomorrow. Pretty much the same restrictions as in Italy and Spain (can go out to work if you have to or go to the shops or for medical treatment or to visit a sick relative) but we're also going to be allowed to go out to exercise once a day.  It doesn't sound like it's all been ironed out yet (nothing does) and I can't imagine how they're going to police it.

I guess that's it for now then.  What the hell.  I can't work from Shamila's so I guess I'll be locked down in TS3.  Jeez, how did it come to this?  It's mad, it even seems a good option.

No comments:

Post a Comment