Translate

Tuesday 25 December 2012

So this is Christmas?

Seasons Greetings all.
















 It's certainly been a while and I'm not expecting any views for a while but somebody may eventually stumble along.

It's not been a good year to be honest but then again my even years never are.  Here's hoping for 2013.

It hasn't all been bad though .  Lot's of music which has been patchy to say the least but Beirut were immense, as were Explosions In The Sky.  No Direction Home was great without any individual act really standing out and part 2 of Wagner's The Ring was a wonderful spectacle.  I enjoyed a rousing performance by Elliott Brood at The Cluny 2 and BJH at The Westgarth and NDH.  Joshua James came along at the right time to raise my spirits but the best of all was saved till last and North Carolina's Crooked Fingers at the The Kids Are Solid Gold Christmas Party.  They were the stand out band on a memorable Westgarth night and for me the best band I saw all year.  Can't wait to see them again.

My Stockton Riverside Festival was spoilt by illness which lingered on for far too long. The Pogues headlined on Saturday (can't remember much) and I missed James on Sunday.

The local scene was pretty good this year, especially Shrug and Pellethead (free downloads - Pellethead, not Shrug).  Special mention for General Sherman who I think might do ok next year and the monthly Above The Parapet event at our favourite Working Men's Club and finally the pub kept me going.  Weatherspoon's are normally soulless god forsaken abodes but the spirit of The Empire looms large at The Swotters Carr.  It always feels right.

Cheers







 

No comments:

Post a Comment