Translate

Thursday 8 September 2011

EOTR 3 - Lets Here It For The Girls!

When I was young I used to adore girls in bands,  Pauline Murray, Debbie Harry, Patti Smith et al and nothing's changed really although I'd like to think it's no longer about lust (honest guv')! 

I've enthused about Allo Darlin a few times on GFTB before after seeing them at EOTR 2010.  I'm pretty sure I've also posted a video on FB and I know I've encouraged TKASG to check them out and they were great again on Saturday afternoon in the Big Top.


Seemingly nervous at first, lovely ukulele playing Aussie, Elizabeth Morris led Allo Darlin' through a euphoric set of songs from their album including Silver Dollars (from Sound It Out fame) plus a few new ones.  Allo Darlin' are simply the best pop band around at the moment.

The Secret Sisters from Alabama were also lovely and they refreshingly played a set of country standards by The Everly Brothers, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and George Jones as well as a couple of their own which stood up well.  Not sure if it would have been as good if the ratio had been the other way round.
 
As nice as Elizabeth Morris and The Secret Sisters were I got the impression that Beth Jeans Houghton and Caitlin' Rose are not so nice.  Sharp-tongued and quick witted I think they'd chew you up and spit you out if you had the courage to mess with them.

One time Kids Are Solid Gold regular and newly signed to Mute Records, Beth Jeans opened The Garden Stage on Saturday afternoon.  Fresh from an extended visit to LA, Beth looked mean and confident sporting homemade tattoos on the insides of her arm that wouldn't have looked out of place in Berwick Hills.  God bless her for making me feel so at home.


Her sound was much leaner than I remembered and the better for it.  She was confident enough in her new songs not to fall back on her back catalogue and I only recognised I Will Return I Promise.  Really looking forward to her album coming out in January.

I love Caitlin Rose from Nashville.  I wouldn't like to meet her in a back alley or get in a round with her for that matter.  She set her stall out by dismissing a cute little girl stood next to me who shouted out her name was also Caitlin.  She made it clear she didn't give a shit. 

Apparently known for her smoking habit, I'm not sure how much longer her sweet sounding voice will hold out so we'd better enjoy it while we can.  Caitlin, now at the ripe old age of 23 played with confidence bordering on arrogance.  I do like spirit in young people especially when their songs are as good as Caitlin's.
 
Yet more to come.

   


3 comments:

  1. I adore the women in bands as well, especially the ones who play the flute !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your comment. I like your pictures a great deal. They are often very different to mine even when of the same artist. Must take a look at my ones of Allo Darlin' -thanks for telling me about that. Also pleased to see Austra and Timber Timbre on the short list at Polaris 2011 last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As ever Richard you are ahead of me. Cheers for info re Polaris shortlist. Really enjoying your photos as well. Particularly like the one you published of Beth Jeans Houghton

    ReplyDelete