Translate

Monday 13 August 2012

The Olympics

There’s that end of summer holidays around tonight don’t you think?


I think it’s been said already by a number of commentators but what are we all going to do tomorrow?  I’ve loved the last 16 days, following everything from getting up on in the morning until going to bed wherever I’ve been, thanks partly to the power if my  iPhone but mainly to the wall to wall TV coverage.  It’s felt great to be British for the first time in a very long time.
 I fretted along with everybody else  during early days when it looked like it was all going to turn pear shaped (medals wise anyway) and basked in the reflected glory of every one of the 29 golds as they rolled in.  From Mo Farrah and Jessica Ennis to the Taekwondo and that most hardly of sports, the dressage. 
Some of my personal top bits -
Not  fan of boxing but if men can knock ten bells out of each I don't see why women shouldn't be allowed to and I never tired of seeing and listening to Nicola Adams being interviewed.
It was one of those you had to be there moments but my 8 year old Spanish nephew gave me  10 points start when GB played Spain in the basketball. It was the basketball equivalent of England vs The Faroe Islands at football (GB being The Faroe's).  My collaborator brother and 2 nephews watched with horror as GB came to within 1 point of the eventual silver medallist's.  Nevertheless a 9 point victory for GB with my handicap.
Obviously our 29 golds, 17 silver and 19 bronze.  I never tire of looking at the medal table.  We were only beaten by the 2 most powerful nations on the earth.
Ingleby Barwick's Kat Copeland winning gold in the rowing.
The Spice Girls and Beady Eye (who ???)in the finale!  Only joking.
I know a bit off the wall but I really enjoyed the drama of Steve Cram's protege, Morpeth's Laura Weightman path to the 1500m final.  She was never going to win the final but I enjoyed her semi-final performance just as much as I enjoyed Usain Bolt's wins.  To be fair I'd never even heard of him before these Olympics, I stopped watching track and field after Coe and Ovett retired.

The BBC.  Hope our politicians realise how great it is before it becomes was.

Loved London 2012.  Now looking forward to the legacy bit.  Fingers crossed.









4 comments:

  1. I saw about ten minutes, max (Daria and her mother were watching the gymnastics)but it sounds like it was a good un. Post coital depression at the moment, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My interest in sport has faded away over the years although I do sometimes get sucked into a drama such as a team getting beat and then sacking the manager or a team winning and then sacking ther manager. Pretty much in the same way as I might get caught up in a Coronation Street plot. I wasn't really interested in the Olympics before they started but they looked great and it was brill that the games seemed to be universally loved. Winning all the medals was probably whatkept the press at bay

    Our Ian said Britain is know in Spain for our press slagging the country off. Even they couldn't find anything to complain about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morrissey attacks 'blustering jingoism' of Olympic Games

    Singer claims London 2012 is more Germany in 1939, saying Britain is 'foul with patriotism'

    What do you think of this quote from Morrissey???
    Do you think he was bitter for not being included in the open ceremony!!!!!

    From Mark G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. probably more interesting me replying now. Not a great fan of Morrissey circa 2012 but 3 months on I see what he means.

      Delete